Saturday, June 29, 2013

More work on Sibelius with my "short pieces"; a glitch in the Sibelius export?

I experimented with my “composition process” on Sibelius 7 yesterday.  I took a chorale hymn, rather self-contained, in B Major, sixteen measures, slow tempo, mostly 4/4 (a little 6/4), very chromatic with unusual passing tones and quick modulations.  It appears as a quiet moment in the middle of the third movement of the Third Sonata, and this passage was composed around March 1962, after I had returned home from my William and Mary “expulsion” and was going to George Washington University in Washington by bus (remember DC Transit then?) while living at home.  My father was recovering from a stress-produced  “heart attack” and couldn’t  stand loud music from the basement, or from the living room piano.

I found I could get a reasonable recording at the metronome speed of 100 if I allowed a quarter note to be two beats, and then did the “renotation” process with the score afterword.  The effect is a resemblance to a Liszt Consolation.

To copy it to iTunes on the MacBook, it seems that if I go into the directory in Finder and click on the aiff element (after exporting the “sib” file” to audio in Sibelius), Apple copies it to the appropriate directory, which turns out to be “unknown artists”, drilled down as deep as you can go under “iTunes” and “Music”.   iTunes has changed where it puts the “create new format” to convert to mp3 (which takes much less disk space). 

I had a glitch yesterday. The first time  I exported the score to audio and played it back,  Sibelius would play back only the bass clef.  I re-exported, made sure it said “all Sibelius sounds” and gave the aiff element a slightly different name.  The second time the whole process, going from aiff to mp3, worked correctly.
I see that I talked about the process before here on April 1, 2013.  See the directory link there. The new files are called “ExcSon33ChralePiano2.mp3” and “ExcSon3ChoraleTake2.pdf”. 
  
I have the basic Sibelius 7.  It looks like the upgrade process is time consuming and huge, from the link that I find, here
  
I’ll try some more “miniatures” from my paper copies of large-scale works conceived in the 1960s and 1970s soon.  I hope to get them to the point that other pianists (or organists) could play them, maybe even in church services. 

To do work on a more ambitious scale, to get my Sonatas recorded and scored with the assistance of others, I'll probably have to go through Sibelius and even Apple operating system upgrades first. 

No comments: