Sunday, February 26, 2012

Deja Vu for me (from past lives), at "As the Youth run a Service-Concert" at an Arlington VA church; film "Sunday's Aliens"



I thought I would follow up on last week’s note on the “30 Hour Famine”, because the youth at Trinity Presbyterian Church in Arlington put on quite a multi-media performance today with music, brief “sermons”, and a short film.

The highlight of the “singspiration” was a setting of Matt Redman’s “We Are the Free”, with the famous lyrics, “there’s a fire in our hearts”.  Plenty of guitar music followed.

The testimonials, or three-minute sermons, tended to revolve around the reasons for fasting and for personal involvement "in deed" with those in need, rather than just on the distant giving of money.  I wasn’t aware that fasting was taken up in the Old Testament (Isaiah 58, which talks about “going through the motions”).  The moral demands in Matthew 25, toward the end of the Chapter, are striking.  In fact, back in the 1980s, the Lama Foundation in New Mexico (since rebuilt from a 1996 fire), offered weekends of “purification through fasting” as well as “spring work camps” (I went to one of them in May 1984).  This is really a loaded topic for me, the idea of that everyone must learn to become a social creature (and not decide he or she can reject everyone who is less than perfect).  I’ve talked about it a lot on my main blog, and today on my Issues Blog in a posting about a NY Times article on “moral hazard” and the limits of depending on “personal responsibility”.

The short film (the postlude), about four minutes, was a sequel  “Friday’s Aliens II” (Movie Blog, Feb. 27, 2011), which I guess you could title “Sunday Is Coming” (given a famous 1981 sermon in Dallas by MCC pastor David Day).  Or maybe we call it "Sunday's Aliens". The youth dressed in choir robes with cross-like designs and distorted them (through digital editing of the film, I think) to look like ghosts.  A couple people were actually a little disturbed by this kind of comedy. 

What an "Event" for Oscars Day!

I don’t recall if I’ve mentioned this, but a the old MCC Dallas, back in August 1979 (long before the Cathedral of Hope was built), at a Sunday night service, a popular guitar singer named Terry was performing “He’s Alive”, and a woman who had been paralyzed got up and walked for the first time in years, at least according to what I was told.  (Maybe it was an illusion: after my hip fracture accident in 1998, I put aside my crutches “for the first time” at an Academy Awards benefit party in Minneapolis and spent the evening without them.)  I’ve seen a couple of people “slain in the spirit” at a service in Pensacola FL (in 1998, when I visited the Brownsville Assembly of God), and it certainly seems real to the people participating.  I had my own epiphany at a night service on a Texas prairie on 1979 (during a storm), but that’s a topic for another day.

Note: I took the third picture tonight at the Rosslyn Metro, as I was returning from an Oscars party in Georgetown.  I am seeing this all around Metro stations these days, outside, in the winter.  It was around 35oF when I shot the picture outside.  

No comments: