Monday, May 03, 2010

I thought I would become a composer at one time: time to get busy this summer on getting old music entered

Well, I hope to get something going again with my own music of ages past (postings on this blog Oct. 1, 2008 and Jan. 21, 2008).


I don’t think that I mentioned there that I actually performed one of the pieces from a sort of “song-symphony” that had been sketched around 1972. That was at Morris County NJ GAA in the fall of 1973, at a talent show, I actually played a four-minute composition called “The Waterfall”. But it was really a scherzo snippet from a planned “second movement” that was supposed to be a concatenation of a disco dance, minuet, and descriptive dance. The first movement was supposed to be a loose sonata form centered around the “parable” of the Rich Young Ruler (if you can call it that); the third movement was to comprise little song snippets of other Biblical dilemmas (like Doubting Thomas); the fourth movement was to be an Adagio and “offertory”; the finale was to be a kind of comfortable Rondo (starting in 3/8 time) that works up into a fury.

I couldn’t find the handwritten copy of “Waterfall”; that one sheet is missing; the theme was 6/8 and like this: E-C-B-A-B-C with counterpoints. Most of the rest of my sketches are pretty intact in paper form, with multiple bound Kinkos copies. I also performed a “polytonal prelude” one time in front of some friends in Dallas, as I recall.

Some day soon I have to figure out how to get this entered into Cakewalk (I do have one piece in it, when the hard drive crashed; I still have to find it in Mozy Backups; it was a 50-measure amalgamation of themes from the symphony above). But I also had trouble with getting Cakewalk to play back and make sounds (I had actually entered most of this on an older computer when I was living in Minnesota).

So, I have a lot of work to do, if I can ever unscramble it all and get it entered and working on the computer. I really expect to get to it this summer, after the census employment gig is over.

No comments: