Wednesday, August 15, 2012

My quick visit to Tanglewood


Yesterday (Tuesday morning) I paid a visit to Tanglewood in Lenox MA, south of Pittsfield. The website for the Center is maintained by the Boston Symphony Orchestra, here, 


I had  first passed by Tanglewood University, didn’t know that it was distinct.

I bought a guest book souvenir that had some piano music on it that looks like Brahms, not sure what it is.  (A similar mural in Minneapolis near the Orchestra hall is Ravel’s “Gaspard de la Nuit”).

I could hear two band groups rehearsing in an antiphony, the closing sections of the first movement of Bela Bartok’s Concerto for Orchestra.  (My recording is on Philips with Dorati, the Concertgebouw Orchestra, paired with the “Deux Images”). The work has always struck me formally as like a five-movement symphony.  The Finale is quite rousing (actually concluding in a conventional Picardy F Major), and I can recall a high school chum claimed that for him, the closing of this work was the most exciting moment of classical music.

A couple of college age students worked there as receptionists.  One of them had an iPad open to a copy of some handwritten music, piano staff, maybe his, music with some linear scalar themes.  


In the video above, one group seemed to be rehearsing under the main concert stand; the other off behind a house, toward the Berkshires; not sure where it was. 
As you drive south on Route 7 into NW Connecticut, the scenery does indeed get interesting.  


No comments: