Saturday, September 24, 2011

Foggy Bottom Morris Men dance in Ballston (Arlington VA)

Today (Saturday Sept. 24) I chanced a view on Wilson Boulevard in the Ballston Section of Arlington VA of the “Foggy Bottom Morris Men”, who perform “stick and hankie” dances from “Cotswolds” villages in England like Bampton and Bledington.  The dances resemble what you would see at a Renaissance Fair.

I did not have my camera with me to make a video or photo, but here is the website

They have several YouTube videos, such as this one of the Ampleforth Sword Dance.


I used to attend the Renaissance festivals in the late summer south of Minneapolis only highway 169. There were plenty of shows like this, as well as (always) a simultaneous chess exhibition from a local International Master.  I remember one particular loss, to the “English Opening”. 

No comments: